From:
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2012 18:16:55 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 00:51:59 +0000

I actually didn't think I was saying anything very controversial, but
perhaps I was naive.

It is also naive, or disingenuous, to suggest that authors can just
"choose another publisher" if they don't like a contract. Academic
authors do not choose publishers, they choose journals.  They may
select the journal they want to publish in based on its disciplinary
niche and impact, but never, at least in the journal world, because of
which conglomerate publishes it (except, as in the case of the
Elsevier boycott, negatively). And their choices are usually severely
limited, especially if they work in a specialized field.

I certainly do believe that there would be fewer enforcement actions
over plagiarism/infringement if only the author's wishes, and not also
a publisher's desire to protect a profit, were involved, but there
would certainly be some.  And publishers could still send cease and
desist letters, even as non-exclusive licensees, as Mr. Watkinson
acknowledges.

It is worth remembering that copyright is not an all-or-nothing
proposition, but an infinitely divisible bundle of rights.  A
well-drafted license could certainly apportion rights in a way that
allowed for appropriate enforcement when mutually agreeable, as well
as for downstream licensing and permissions.

Kevin L. Smith, J.D.
Director of Scholarly Communication
Duke University
Perkins Library