From:
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2012 16:53:11 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:21:09 -0500

The chart frequently refers to "holds copyright" as though there was
just a single entity called "copyright".   Most people not familiar
with current copyright law will naturally assume that either the
author "holds copyright" or the publisher "holds copyright" and there
is nothing in-between. The reality is that, while the author in the
first instance controls all of the rights included within the scope of
copyright, the author in most sectors of publishing does not transfer
all of those rights to the publisher, which would be necessary if the
publisher could be said to own the copyright and to be in a position
to register it with the Copyright Office.

Sandy Thatcher