From:
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2014 20:48:36 +0100
From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 07:50:51 +0100

Hi All

I think Joe is correct.  And I think part of the reason is that, in
huge organisations, so much responsibility has been handed over to IT
staff, that very little of what they do is known to senior management
(apart from the IT staff who serve in senior management, of course).

This is a very real problem, because senior management tends to
classify everything to do with computers as "IT stuff," and fails to
see that what their IT staff does reflects directly on the
institution, especially when institutional ethics are involved.   In
this case, the IT staff will know that they are collecting data, but
it is likely that the senior management don't know about it.  (For
example, how many librarians on this list have ever asked their IT
staff about what information they are gathering on their users, how,
where and for how long the data are stored, and discussed the ethics
of that?).

To answer your question regarding instances of tracking by
organisations: I don't know of any, but the study of such tracking by
medical organisations that I mentioned in my previous mail can be
found at http://ispub.com/IJMI/6/2/14386

I attempted to follow up on that study by surveying the medical
organisations, trying to get their opinion on how much they knew about
the data gathering, and how this fitted in with medical ethics (given
that there was almost no informed consent on the data gathering).  I
received a 1% responses rate, so, obviously, could not publish
anything.  Apart from normal low response rates to surveys, I would
think that the non-response rate probably had to do with
organisations' closing ranks, or, because it would have been seen as
"IT stuff," would have been forwarded to the IT dept, and they
certainly would not have responded.

Regards

Ken

------

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education