From:
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2017 18:13:29 -0400
From: "Guédon Jean-Claude" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 07:18:39 +0000

Races "existed for centuries": what a lovely, self-defeating,
argument. If races "existed" for centuries, did they exist for
centuries + 1?  :-)

The second answer (disadvantaged) does not correspond to my
experience; moreover, it is irrelevant to the point made. Finally,
linking race to disadvantages should prove somewhat worrysome.

How do you look at CULTURE (I use the capital letters to make sure
that I am referring to the same entity as my interlocutor). I have
never seen white CULTURE, or black CULTURE, etc...

My point about using blood types was actually meant to make fun of any
attempt to divide human beings into ever finer categories that will
ultimately amount to minorities of one.

Finally, apologies to the list for this digression which has precious
little to do with licensing issues. For me, this thread is finished.
Over and out!

Jean-Claude Guédon
________________________________

From: Ari Belenkiy <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 00:31:21 -0700

Well, I didn't expect my straightforward analogy with "race" would
cause such an ire. But let me tackle it seriously.

> As for race, it simply does not exist (except, perhaps, in the USA, among a number of other delusions that seem presently to thrive in that country).

The races existed for centuries and suddenly disappeared? Like in a fairy tale?

> When I encounter a race question in a US form, I generally answer: "unknown" or "incomprehensible question".

Usually, this question is directly related to the different promotions
or bonuses to the "disadvantages". So responding ambiguously, you
pretend to be qualified for them.

> If you pay attention to skin colour, where do you draw the line?

The CULTURE. Just look at the African and European states and compare.

> If we want to do precise classifications, albeit in an equally absurd manner, let us use blood types, for example.

Yes, you are on the right track. There is a gene with 4 alleles
directly responsible for the blood type. But to differentiate between
races securely you need to look at a larger number of genes. I
recommend reading Nicholas Wade's 2014 book "A Troublesome
Inheritance".

Ari Belenkiy

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 7:55 PM, LIBLICENSE