From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2018 02:50:14 -0400
From: Michael Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 10:45:13 -0700

UC Davis Library, with the support of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation,
invites applications to participate in a "Move-It-Forward" workshop
focused on exploring and vetting publisher models for transitioning
existing scholarly journals to open access. Following a competitive
review process, we anticipate hosting up to 25 interested
representatives from publishers of scholarly journals for a one-and-
a-half day workshop and discussion to take place June 21–22 in
Oakland, California. Workshop participants will provide brief
presentations on past, present, and theorized approaches, and the
group will work to identify the most promising and transformative
methods, as well as their roadblocks and prerequisites. Subsequent to
the workshop, we plan to explore and, where possible, operationalize
discussed plans and models.

Publishers interested in attending the event (entitled
"Move-It-Forward", as a nod to its predecessor project,
"Pay-It-Forward"), will:

Presently publish (or, through a third-party vendor, have published)
one or more scholarly journals;
Have a demonstrable interest in, or be in the process of,
transitioning some or all of their existing titles to open access
models; and
Be ready to discuss the merits, difficulties, and prerequisites of
their approach candidly.
Note that do not want to cabin this engagement to any one model, and
are particularly interested in exploring a variety of approaches.
Accordingly, we are seeking to convene a range of publishers with a
diverse range of business models, subject foci, and portfolio sizes.

We anticipate publishers will benefit from the meeting in several
ways, notably by gaining better insight into how peer organizations
are approaching the open access transition process; by exchanging
experiences and lessons learned to date; by discussing concerns and
interests that have surfaced among key stakeholders; and by
establishing a "community of practice" around this issue.

Limited funding is available to facilitate the participation of
applicants whose attendance is contingent on support. The project team
will send out preliminary invitations for all approved applications by
mid-April. Please contact Michael Wolfe, Scholarly Communications
Officer, at [log in to unmask] with any questions.

Please complete your application here.

--
Michael Wolfe
Scholarly Communications Officer | UC Davis Library