From:
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2018 17:50:32 -0500
From: Sarah Beaubien <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2018 20:19:20 +0000

Hi, Colleagues,

If you’re heading to Denver next week, I encourage you to make room in
your schedule for the ALCTS Scholarly Communications Interest Group
program, Our Own Worst Enemy: Toward a More Inclusive Scholarly
Communications Movement.

Speakers: Stephanie Davis-Kahl (Illinois Wesleyan University) and Doug
Way (University of Wisconsin-Madison)

Program description: On list-servs, in the blogosphere, and sometimes
in the disciplinary literature, it seems the scholarly communications
and open access community is building toward a sense of absolutism.
This is seen in a growing rhetoric that would have us believe there is
only one correct way to successfully provide scholarly communications
services, programs, and advocacy. This dangerous assumption ignores
the important diversity in models, types of institutions, and local
needs. We assert that there are many ways to get to open, that
multiple models can co-exist, and that the unique needs of our
institutions are ultimately more important than a unified approach to
scholarly communications. This panel will explore some of the
assumptions being debated in the scholarly communications community,
and will give examples of how their institutions have focused
primarily on their own missions and researchers’ needs in order to
move forward successfully.

This session takes place on Saturday, February 10 from 1:00 – 2:30 pm,
in the Colorado Convention Center, Rm 303.

Details on ALA Connect: http://connect.ala.org/node/272940

And the ALA Scheduler:
https://www.eventscribe.com/2018/ALA-Midwinter/fsPopup.asp?Mode=presInfo&PresentationID=336092

We hope to see you there, and look forward to a robust discussion!

Best regards,

Sarah

Sarah Beaubien
Interim Associate Dean, Research & Instruction
Grand Valley State University Libraries
616-331-2631