From:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 2015 19:44:25 -0400
From: "Bargheer, Margo Friederike" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 08:14:39 +0000

Dear All,

Several German universities run OA publication funds, supported by a
funding line of the DFG (German Research Foundation).  Find
information in English in our flyer on OA APC:

http://bit.ly/1MxH5Dp

Due to this central support, more than 30 universities run OA funds
and publish their Open Access APC payments on Open APC:

http://openapc.github.io/openapc-de/

We see hopefully more to come, once the new DFG-funded project INTACT
in Bielefeld will gain momentum.

The data show that obviously PLOS receives a significant share of
payments, so does Springer SBM (via BioMedCental, especially prevalent
in those universities that support a medical school).

Note that the DFG (German Research Foundation) has stayed with their
policy NOT to support hybrid Gold OA, thus the surprisingly small
share for Elsevier. One of the results on a workshop we ran on APC
funds in June 2015 (sorry, all in German) was that in Germany we as
universities should stick to that policy:

http://open-access.net/community/veranstaltungen/workshop-publikationsfonds/

I am grateful do David to stress the problematic situation in the UK
that led to more Open Access on the expense that authors didn't need
to reflect on their publishing decisions and large corporate
commercial publisher were put in the hammock to simply stick with
their conventional business model.

Best
Margo

Margo Bargheer

Leitung Elektronisches Publizieren ǀ Head of Electronic Publishing
Georg-August-Universität Göttingen
Niedersächsische Staats- und Universitätsbibliothek Göttingen
State and University Library Goettingen
www.sub.uni-goettingen.de

From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 01:16:19 +0000

>More and more UK
>research is now freely available to the world¹s readers - great.  But
>a significant proportion of the cash is going to large commercial
>publishers to pay inflated APCs for hybrid journals.  And the majority
>of that proportion is going to publishers - most notably Elsevier- who
>refuse to engage meaningfully with the UK community on double-dipping.
>This is essentially free cash to those publishers - over a £1million a
>year to Elsevier, for example.

Just curious ‹ does anyone know how much of the cash in question is going
to PLOS? (I genuinely don¹t know and have no particular expectation as to
what the answer might be.)

Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Collections & Scholarly Communication
Marriott Library, University of Utah