From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2015 19:18:44 -0400
From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 12:22:03 +0000

I am at something of a loss to know how to respond to this, since we seem
to have moved very far from the original topic of discussion, which was
the new Elsevier policy about article sharing and the COAR Statement in
response to it.  My first reply to Sandy was trying to point out that the
rhetoric of stealing was inappropriate to the conversation, because
nothing in the COAR statement remotely justified the idea that someone
would "steal" the property of university presses, even if we were using
the correct term.  To now move to a scenario where libraries offer POD
copies of eBooks published by university presses seems even farther
afield.  No one is suggesting such a thing; we are trying to discuss the
need for the business structures of scholarly publishing to serve the
ultimate goal of scholarship, rather than undermining it.  The COAR
statement asks that we in the academy put the goals of scholarship --
presumably related to learning and the advancement of knowledge -- in the
forefront and find appropriate business models to advance those goals, not
that we violate the law.

Surprisingly, the reference to Robert Spoo's book "Without Copyright:
Piracy, Publishing and the Public Domain" might be germane here.  I have
read it, of course, and wrote a blog post that is largely a review of the
book back in 2013.  See:

https://blogs.library.duke.edu/scholcomm/2013/09/27/the-varieties-of-the-pu
blic-domain/

For one thing, Spoo does discuss the fact that the rhetoric
of theft, piracy, etc. is often used in inaccurate and inappropriate ways.
I cite some of that discussion in the post I wrote.  But more importantly,
the whole thesis of Spoo's book is that the publishing industry evolved to
address changing legal and business conditions.  "Piracy" by U.S.
publishing houses was an economic strategy that helped the industry
develop, but it eventually gave way first to informal agreements and then
to formal legal structures and business practices. In the discussion of
the Elsevier policy and the COAR response, we should be considering how
the dissemination of scholarship will likewise adapt to changes in the
academic, legal and economic ecosystem.

The issue that has generated so much heat on this list, about not
subordinating scholarly goals to commercial interests, ought to be
relatively non-controversial.  We are simply asking the industry that has
grown up around scholarship to change with the times, and with new
technologies.  It seems reasonable that older economic structures will
become outdated, and successful participants in the market will be those
who adapt.  This is what I take Spoo's book to be about.  In the area of
scholarly publishing, no one, that I know of, is advocating a
free-for-all; that is nothing but an irrational fear, or perhaps
intentionally inflammatory rhetoric, from some in the industry who
steadfastly resist change.  What we do expect, and what seems inevitable,
is a shift in business models so that the goals of scholarship -- the
reasons why the works are written in the first place -- are the driving
force in determining which business models deserve support.  Any other
approach is the tail wagging the dog.

We are not talking about stealing anything here; we are talking about not
giving works to publishers whose policies seem at odds with what we
believe are the best interests of our work and our academic commitments.
If a scholar doesn't like Elsevier's policies about sharing and open
access, she shouldn't publish in Elsevier journals.  Then, if enough
scholars make that decision, academic libraries will no longer need to buy
those Elsevier journals.  The same is true with any specific university
press -- if I think their policies are harmful, I will not publish with
them.  I made exactly this decision last year and blogged about it at:

https://blogs.library.duke.edu/scholcomm/2014/12/22/getting-press/

On the other hand, we should, and I think will, continue to support those
business practices which seem most in accord with the basic values that
underlie the scholarly enterprise.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director of Copyright and Scholarly Communications
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC 27708