From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2013 07:09:36 -0400
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 11:42:59 -0400

>On 2013-08-11, Ari Belenkiy, SFU <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>Why will publishers agree to this scheme?

Peer-review is the most important service they provide ... for nothing?

(1) Publishers today are paid for (managing) peer review -- paid in
full, many times over -- by institutional subscriptions.

(2) The majority of journals today already agree to immediate,
unembargoed Green OA self-archiving of the author's peer-reviewed
final draft.

(3) For the minority of journals that embargo OA, there is the
immediate-deposit (ID/OA) mandate - mandatory deposit in the author's
institutional repository immediately upon acceptance whether or not
access to the deposit is immediately set as OA -- plus the
repository's eprint-request Button to tide over user access needs with
one click from the requestor and one click from the author
("Almost-OA") for those deposits to which access has been set as
Closed Access, to comply with a publisher OA embargo.

Plans by universities and research funders to pay the costs of Gold OA
Publishing are premature.

Funds are short; 80% of journals (including virtually all the top
journals) are still subscription-based, tying up the potential funds
to pay for Gold OA; the asking price for Gold OA is still high
("Fools-Gold"); and there is concern that paying to publish may
inflate acceptance rates and lower quality standards.

What is needed now is for universities and funders to mandate
immediate-deposit (of authors' final peer-reviewed drafts, immediately
upon acceptance for publication). (U of C should add such an
immediate-deposit clause -- with no opt-out -- to its new Green OA
mandate.)

This will provide immediate Green OA for all unembargoed deposits +
immediate Almost-OA for all embargoed deposits.

Then, if and when universal Green OA should go on to make
subscriptions unsustainable (because users are satisfied with just the
Green OA versions)
that will in turn induce journals to cut costs (print edition, online
edition, access-provision, archiving), downsize to just managing the
service of peer review, and convert to the Gold OA cost-recovery
model.

Meanwhile, the subscription cancellations will have released the funds
to pay these residual service costs (for affordable, sustainable
post-Green Fair-Gold OA).

The natural way to charge for the service of peer review then will be
on a "no-fault basis," with the author's institution or funder paying
for each
round of refereeing, regardless of outcome (acceptance,
revision/re-refereeing, or rejection). This will minimize cost while
protecting against inflated acceptance rates and decline in
peer-review quality standards.

Stevan Harnad