From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2012 06:53:24 -0400
From: Oya Yildirim Rieger <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:25:48 +0000

Dear Joachim and Subbiah,

arXiv and SCOAP3 complement each other. arXiv is critical for
providing unrestricted and immediate circulation of initial research
in several fields, not limited to HEP, whereas SCOAP3 tackles the
issue of sustainable open access to peer-reviewed HEP publications by
re-directing subscription funds.  It is important to note that the
SCOAP3 initiative is restricted to HEP and particle physics content
only, which can represent as little as 18% of submissions to arXiv.
See http://arxiv.org/Stats/hcamonthly.html for a distribution of
different subject categories within arXiv. Although HEP constituted
the foundation of arXiv, the open access repository has successfully
evolved into other related subject areas.

As the SCOAP3 initiative continues to advance, arXiv and SCOAP3 are
committed in exploring different collaboration opportunities. arXiv’s
principle goal is to provide expedited access to scientific research
well ahead of formal publication. Although arXiv is not peer-reviewed,
the submissions are screened by subject-specific moderators to ensure
content is relevant to current research in the specified disciplines.
Additionally, an endorsement system uses community feedback to
pre-screen new submitters.

As an important component of our sustainability effort, the Cornell
team has been talking with representatives of several publishers and
societies to discuss the feasibility and desirability of
collaborating, which would improve crosslinking, interoperability, and
lifecycle support for research material. Also, I would like to note
that arXiv's future direction will be informed by the arXiv
principles, especially to ensure a sustainable growth and development
pattern:

https://confluence.cornell.edu/download/attachments/127116484/arXivPrinciplesMarch12.pdf

Regards,

Oya Y. Rieger
arXiv Program Director
Cornell University Library

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2012 17:57:45 -0700

Joachim Meier's suggestion is indeed great and worth pursuing. We
should mobilize the support of not only high energy physicists and
scientists in other specialties covered by arXiv (such as condensed
matter physics) to support this proposal.

Subbiah Arunachalam

[Not a physicist either. I am part of an Indian think tank called the
Centre for Internet and Society where we look at the
technology-society interface]