From:
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2015 19:59:35 -0500
From: Ian Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 15:32:46 +0000

Agree with all of you vis. Elsevier/Mendeley and ProQuest Ex Libris
(in fact given that PQ have been promising an Alma competitor for
years and had yet to deliver this move made very good sense to me).

The move that didn't make sense to me was ProQuest buying Coutts. I
understand the need to be in every space that Ebsco is in but to me
(as a former Coutts customer) the move didn’t make sense from a
momentum stand point. YBP is the clear market leader in that business
and everyone else are also-rans at best. Coutts' Oasis platform is old
and awkward to use, they were consistently behind in providing
services (e.g. offering ebooks other than MyiLibrary; managing DDA;
managing DDA across multiple vendors) and their customer base seemed
to me to be shrinking. The only possible way this makes sense to me is
if PQ uses Coutts as a way of getting better data on library ebook
preferences by monitoring what their customers are buying instead of
PQ ebooks and then uses that info to make PQ ebooks the dominant
player in that market.

What I really want is for Elsevier to buy PLOS - yes, yes it's nigh on
impossible but just think of the comedy value... Failing that I would
settle for one of the big societies like IEEE or ACS handing over
their publishing ops to one of the big commercial publishers.

Ian

Ian Gibson, MISt
Collections Librarian
Brock University | James A. Gibson Library
Niagara Region
St. Catharines, Ontario  L2S 3A1
E [log in to unmask]