From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:08:43 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 20:24:20 -0500

As I have mentioned here before, if advocates of open access think
that CC-BY is the only legitimate approach to open access, then they
are writing off practically every attempt publishers have made so far
to include monographs in the scope of open access, since publishers so
far have been able to make it work only by deriving revenue from sales
of POD or PDF versions of the works that are accessible OA online.  If
they don't want to call such initiatives open access, that is their
prerogative, but it seems a shame to self-limit the movement in this
way because it will be a very long time before a CC-BY approach will
work for monograph publishing.

Sandy Thatcher