From:
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2015 19:57:20 -0400
From: Rick Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 23:15:05 +0000

>The new 2015 policy imposes journal embargo periods for making
>articles open access via an institutional repository on all authors at
>all institutions.
>
>We could debate whether this is a small or a big change, but it is
>clearly not a change towards greater access.

Agreed ‹ but my question was about the changes taken as a whole. It looks
to me as if all of them, taken together, leave Elsevier content more open
and sharable than it was before these changes were implemented. But I¹m
fully prepared to be convinced that I¹m wrong about that if someone wants
to make that argument.

>Besides this, there are some really important fundamental issues that
>are raised by this policy around who should determine the conditions
>of researcher sharing and open access. Should it be the scholarly
>community (e.g. funding agencies, institutions and researchers) or
>should it be publishers?

But that question assumes that publishers are not part of the scholarly
community. Given that the great majority of scholarly publishers are
scholarly and professional societies, does that position really make
sense?

---
Rick Anderson
Assoc. Dean for Scholarly Resources & Collections
Marriott Library, University of Utah