From:
Jennifer Castaldo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2012 13:30:50 +0000
Thanks for all of the feedback that I received on my question regarding the Economist license. I also got many replies off-list and all of those agreed not to sign with that language as well.

Just to clarify...I work at Johns Hopkins University on a team that runs a separate online library for Excelsior College.  So, this question pertains to the Excelsior College Library and does not affect the JHU libraries or their collections.  This is an issue for us as a small, online Library, since we do not have the Economist in print and it was dropped from Ebsco.  We do not get it in any other packages like some larger libraries might.

However, after much back and forth, (well actually just back since they did not budge at all even when I suggested just adding the word "Reasonable"), we decided to do exactly what Sally described and did not move forward with the subscription.  We will monitor any requests over the next year to determine if our users miss it, but I am guessing they will either use the few free individual articles they are allowed or use something else.  No one has complained yet and it was dropped from Ebsco a while back...

Best,

Jennifer

Jennifer Castaldo

Distance Education Librarian/Electronic Resources Manager

Entrepreneurial Library Program

Johns Hopkins University

Baltimore, MD 21218

410-516-8823