From:
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 2013 18:42:10 -0500
From: Amy Schuler <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:38:30 -0500

I too would like to know who walks the walk, and has not caved even
when Elsevier (or other) publisher has tried to renegotiate with you
and thrown you a juicy bone?  As we all know they do -- Elsevier
customer support is very friendly and helpful in my experience, and
they have offered me slightly discounted rates and other morsels.

Who sticks to their principles, and just says very firmly, NO.
Example:  "No, because we disagree on principle with your corporate
policies and practices at this time.  It doesn't matter that you,
Elsevier [or other], are willing to give me a lower rate than you
quoted 3 months ago, or will let me sign a multi-year contract with 0%
increase each year.  No. Show me that you are open to a discussion
about fair digital rights management, or negotiable copyright terms
and author permissions.  Until that time, no."

Who is doing this?  I would really like to know!

For the record, I maintain Elsevier subscriptions.. so I am not one to judge.

Amy Schuler
Director of Information Services
Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Millbrook, NY