From:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jan 2012 19:47:29 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 08:23:25 -0600

Mike, I did agree with you on the issue of transparency because I too
fear that some publishers may be taking advantage of the OA model to
double-dip. I just don't think that a stipulative definition about
what OA should mean is a helpful approach at this point (partly
because it would thereby put beyond the p[ale all current book
projects that call themselves OA or partial OA). And, regarding
transparency, it should also be made clear to authors that by going
with the CC-BY license they are possibly giving up some significant
income from commercial republication. This is, of course, very
unpredictable, and most authors would no doubt be willing to sacrifice
the long adds of making a lot of money this way to the principle of
going with OA libre.

Sandy