From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:01:40 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 07:33:07 -0400

As I have noted to this list before, I have been working on a study of
the impact of PDA on university presses.  The full report for the
study of patron-driven acquisitions and university press publishing
was posted this morning on the Scholarly Kitchen. Here is the link:

http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2012/10/16/pda-and-the-university-press-final-study-now-available/

The post includes a copy of the executive summary and a download link
for the full PDF, which runs around 60 pages.  I worked on this the
past year with my colleagues Kizer Walker (Cornell U. Library) and
Terry Ehling (Project Muse).  The report covers a range of things,
from how PDA works, the current market penetration of PDA, the likely
financial impact of PDA on publishers, and a series of recommendations
for publishers on how to work with PDA to their best advantage.
Although the examples are mostly taken from the U. press world, which
provided a clearly defined set of parameters, the themes of the report
should be applicable to all book publishers that sell books to
academic libraries.  I am especially interested in following up on the
findings on the potential relationship between PDA and ILL.

The Scholarly Kitchen is a very good venue for online discovery, but
as it does not have a preservation strategy, the report will shortly
be posted as well to a more stable environment.

I wish to thank the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation for its generous
support, without which this research would not have been possible.

Comments on the report would be most welcome.

Joe Esposito

Joseph J. Esposito
Processed Media
@josephjesposito