From:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2015 19:57:34 -0500
From:  Bob Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 19:52:01 -0500

[MOD NOTE:  Does anyone have experiences to share about
how this relationship might work for libraries?]

http://www.oclc.org/news/releases/2015/201502dublin.en.html

DUBLIN, Ohio, January 13, 2015—OCLC has acquired Sustainable
Collection Services (SCS), the industry leader in helping libraries
manage their print collections.

Libraries everywhere are changing. Library collections are moving from
print to digital, and spaces once used to house books are now
dedicated to collaboration and research. Librarians need to decide
what materials to keep, what can be shared among groups of libraries
and what can be recycled.

OCLC maintains WorldCat, the largest aggregation of library data in
the world, as well as the world's largest library resource sharing
network. SCS is the leader in analyzing print collection data to help
libraries manage and share their materials. SCS services leverage
WorldCat data and analytics to show individual libraries and library
consortia which titles should be kept locally, which can be discarded,
and which are the best candidates for shared collections.

"OCLC and SCS have worked as strategic partners to help libraries
manage print materials since 2011," said Skip Prichard, OCLC President
and CEO. "By bringing together the innovative services of SCS, the
power of WorldCat and the thought leadership of OCLC Research, we can
move quickly to build services to address this critical need for
libraries."

"Our partnership with OCLC has been vital to SCS since our first day
of operation," said Rick Lugg, Executive Director, SCS. "We rely on
WorldCat to provide libraries the holdings data that is critical to
intelligent collection management decisions. As part of OCLC, we will
expand and extend our analytics capabilities, develop new products,
and serve more libraries than we could ever reach on our own."

OCLC Research has been at the center of the evolution of library
collections. Recent studies and reports on the subject include
Right-scaling Stewardship (2014) and Understanding the Collective
Collection (2013).

"Interest in shared print management among OCLC member libraries
reflects a growing awareness that long-term preservation of the
published record can be organized as a collective effort," said
Constance Malpas, OCLC Research Scientist. "Working together, OCLC and
SCS can significantly accelerate our efforts in collection management
and shared print projects."

All four SCS staff members will join OCLC as employees. The team will
participate in the ALA Midwinter Meeting in Chicago, January
30–February 2 at Booth #1916, adjacent to the OCLC Booth #1818. Staff
there will be available to provide more information.

######