From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2015 20:31:21 -0400
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 23:09:53 -0500

One would hope that at least one kind of publisher, the university
press, shares the overarching values and priorities of academic
librarians and scholars. There are prominent examples of them working
together in enterprises like Project Muse, and in some instances the
library and press are in the same administrative unit, and faculty are
involved with all presses as members of their editorial boards.  These
relationships do not mean that there cannot be disagreements, such as
over copyright, but when push comes to shove, university presses have
more in common with the people on their own campuses than they do with
commercial publishers whose priorities ultimately are driven by the
need to make profits.

Sandy Thatcher