From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:24:50 -0400
From: "Robinson, Faye E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 13:46:01 -0400

My post is regarding two items that I thought related to the subject
of this post.

Because of our governor's reorganization of higher education in New
Jersey, NJG has acquired a school of allopathic medicine. In 2013, a
school of osteopathic medicine will be added. The original library of
the university before the reorganization is designated as the main
library. There will be separate Illiad systems at each campus. There
are two schools of thought about paying copyright. The policy of the
Dean of Library Services at the main campus concerning electronic
journal transmission and copyright compliance is if we own it in
paper, we can send it without copyright payment because it is Fair
Use. Many journals have been cancelled because of duplication in the
databases.

I, head of Resource Sharing (ILL), do not agree. This issue needs to
be cleared up because the medical school is charged fees when they
borrow from research university libraries such as Temple U. and
Jefferson U., but they do not call them copyright fees. This has been
an ongoing debate while copyright fees accumulate in the Illiad
system. The staff has not clicked the "submit to CCC" (Copyright
Clearance Center) button because of the uncertainty. Therefore, we
have not been billed by them. Any schools of thought on either issue
would be much appreciated.

Faye Robinson