From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2014 19:34:29 -0400
From: "Pilch, Janice T" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 02:44:39 +0000

Dear Faye,

As others have indicated, the activity of EZ Borrow is lawful. The
consortium itself sets the general loan period at 6 weeks. Rutgers is
a member of this regional consortium and I'll happy to explain in
further detail offline if you like. Please feel free to email at me
at:  [log in to unmask] .

Best regards,

Janice T. Pilch
Copyright and Licensing Librarian
Rutgers University Libraries
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Email: [log in to unmask]

From: Kevin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:18:59 +0000

If you are talking about borrowing and relending physical, original
copies of the textbooks, this is not a copyright infringement because
of the doctrine of first sale, which allows pretty much unlimited
lending of lawfully made copies  of a copyrighted book.  The only
restrictions I can see in that case, based on the limited information
in your question, would be terms of the agreement with the other
institutions that are part of EZ Borrow.

Of course, e-book versions of the textbook will not be subject to the
doctrine of first sale, so the propriety of lending and relending is
entirely a matter of the license by which they are obtained.

Kevin L. Smith, M.L.S., J.D.
Director, Copyright and Scholarly Communication
Duke University Libraries
Durham, NC  27708

From: "Robinson, Faye E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 16:12:52 -0400

Does anyone know if it is a violation of copyright to lend text books
to students for use for an entire semester by way of obtaining them
through EZ Borrow (a consortium of approximately 60 schools mainly in
the  PA region, NJ, and a few more in the region)? I would appreciate
any info provided.

Faye Robinson