From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2012 23:13:33 -0500
From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 10:23:45 +0400

Hi All

I agree that any publishers who exploit researchers' desires to be
published and who charge for services that are not delivered should be
exposed.  (Naturally, this should apply to open access and non open
access publishers alike).

But I believe that the process should be formalised properly,
otherwise it devolves quickly into what may look like a screaming
match of accusations and counter-accusations.  Before any exposing can
be done, the criteria should be clear, explicit, visible, relevant,
and have strong support for being valid criteria.  (e.g. the fact that
a publisher is large or small, is seldom (ever?) relevant.  The fact
that a publisher is based in a "foreign" country, is not only
irrelevant, but smacks of the worst kind of jingoism and even racism,
and I would certainly not put my name to a list that held that as a
criterion.)

Once the criteria have been established, for each publisher so named,
there should be explicit details and cases.  This should not be
something based on hearsay or rumor or vague feelings of disquiet.
The explicit documentation is crucial, and follows the same principle
of any research - it allows any skeptics to examine the validity of
the criticisms against the specific cases.  For example, simply saying
that a publisher publishes material of questionable quality is
meaningless, unless we have explicit information.  (E.g. to which
articles are you referring? what are the inaccuracies? who performed
the evaluation, and what qualifies them to perform such an
evaluation?)

It is unlikely that any one person is qualified (or has the time) to
examine all the articles published by a particular publisher (unless
the number of articles is very small), so making the claim to have
done so immediately stains the credibility of the review unless that
reviewer gives more details.  The reviewers would have to be explicit
in their qualifications and background to justify the validity of
their reviews - as much as I respect librarians, I do not know of many
who have MDs (or the equivalent), and are therefore qualified (and
have the time) to review a wide range of journal articles from a
medical publisher.  If they do, then this needs to be stated to add
credibility to the review.  The same would go for almost any other
discipline.

Along that line, one should also not confuse a publisher with a
journal, or even a journal article - many respected publishers have
had bad spots (e.g. to taint Elsevier because of a few shady editors
is nonsensical, and will quickly make the critic look idiotic - to be
balanced, we should take the same approach with all publishers).  We
have all seen papers in respected journals that have questionable
references, and we may wonder at how carefully the peer-reviewers have
done their work - to taint an entire company as fraudulent on the
strength of that is an abuse of a privileged position.  (And yes, I
believe everybody on this list is in a very privileged position).  On
this list, the number of retractions from respected commercial
publishers has never led to their being labelled as "predatory," yet,
if the retraction is to be taken as admission of error, then it is
obvious that those articles were of questionable quality, and the
publishers made money from them.

The value of having this credibility would allow one to go one stage
further: checking on the review process.  For example, if a paper were
questionable, then the editor of the journal could be mailed and could
be asked to submit proof of peer-review (No demands, no accusations,
requests).  The editor would need to check that this was ok with the
author and the reviewers, and there may be issues of confidentiality,
but I would hazard that it may be a painless process. After a proper
evaluation of the review documentation, one could determine the cause
of the problem: maybe the reviewers just messed up; maybe an author
was 'bullied' into writing something s/he didn't want to write (yes,
it happens), etc.

And when the review of the publisher has been written, then follow
your own criteria to the letter.  Don't self-publish it in a blog that
has no peer-review, and over which your have the facility to quash
dissenting voices by not publishing their comments.  Rather, submit it
to a respected journal with proper peer-review, and peer-reviewers who
are committed to pick up on any unfounded generalizations and
speculations, and have the paper go through the process that we demand
from respected publishers.  (This appears self-evident, given the
subject.)

Yes, this does involve work.  Without it, however, the classification
or criticisms have no validity at all.  When we reach that stage, then
the criticisms become valid criticisms of a system or publisher.  And,
in so doing, we contribute to the quality of research everywhere.

Disclaimer: I am the editor of an open access journal whose publisher
appears on a list of "predatory" publishers.   It's no secret that
Jeffrey Beall and I have a difference of opinion on several issues
(which I believe could be amicably resolved), but I don't agree with
the tactics that he has reported have been used against him.

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education