From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2014 02:55:47 -0400
From: Eric Elmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 16:17:50 +0000

I daresay the quality of teaching and student satisfaction with their
professors teaching would likely go up also.  I had a disturbing
number of professors in college who were(for one reason or another)
horrid in the classroom, but if you were lucky enough to get them in a
clinical/lab/research or graduate seminar setting they were bloody
brilliant.  Likewise I had a large number of perpetual adjunct
teachers/professors who were absolutely amazing in the classroom but
could never get tenured positions because their publication record
wasn't "exemplary".

The main problem with all the long-tail books that get published is
that publishers try to shoehorn them into the "must be profitable"
mold, which is ridiculous for academic publishing.  THE point of
academic publishing is to disseminate academic research and output,
not make a profit.  If a title can be profitable, amazing and
fantastic.  But very few academic titles are ever going to be
"profitable".    So does that mean they aren't "worthy" of being
published? No, just that they're not profitable.  Academia, by its'
very nature, is a non-profit endeavor. Trying to monetize every aspect
of it and attempting to make it a profit center out of it is a fool's
errand.

And that's not to say a lot of drek doesn't get published because of
the issues Karin brings up:)

Eric Elmore                                                             |
Electronic Resources Coordinator                     |
The University of Texas at San Antonio            |
One UTSA Circle                                                     |
San Antonio, TX.  78249-0671                             |
(O)210-458-4916/(F)210-458-4577                    |