From:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jul 2013 21:01:15 -0400
From: Beall, Jeffrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I second Anthony's remarks and am struck by Poynder's use of the term
"impecunious." Yesterday I looked at the Internal Revenue Service Form
990 for the Public Library of Science. According to the document, its
former CEO, Peter Jerram, drew a salary of $536,386 in 2011. That's a
huge salary.

Also, Heather Joseph, the subject of Poynder's interview, serves
voluntarily on the PLoS board of directors.

Here's a link to the form:
https://bulk.resource.org/irs.gov/eo/2012_11_EO/68-0492065_990_201112.pdf

Jeffrey Beall
University of Colorado Denver

________________________________

From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 05:58:03 +0100

I admire the industry of Richard Poynder and can remember the time
when he was an independent consultant but cannot agree with his
perception becoming history. He writes:

"Since then the OA movement has gone from strength to strength, in
what has become a classic David and Goliath contest - a smallish group
of impecunious but tireless OA advocates lined up against an army of
well-heeled corporations determined to stop them"

I can write from knowledge:

Some publishers are well-heeled but until recently only one publisher
has employed people to lobby about anything. They have also been very
reluctant to put enough money into their representative organisations.
Again people employed to lobby in these organisations are a new
development.

Where lobbying is done the main thrust has always been the defence of copyright.

Where there has and is lobbying against OA it is lobbying against
mandates. I cannot recall any publisher or publishing body trying to
stop BMC (2000-2001) from acting as an OA publisher. BMC can tell us
if there has been. Now of course they are members of representative
publishing bodies.

SPARC decided about 2001 to use its funds to promote OA and run down
its partnership programme. I do not consider that ARL is a tiny
organisation. Look at its basic staff list and then at the list of
(for example) of STM staff.  Whatever money they have put into SPARC
has been richly supplemented by foundations not directly perhaps but
to organisations like PLOS. Of course if you are characterised as
David you do have the advantage of having the Deity on your side.

Anthony