From:
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2017 17:43:14 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2017 17:26:38 +0000

This sounds a very appealing idea.

The researchers I interview are very wedded to Google Scholar. I am
not. I do not find it pleasant to use. But I am fortunate in that my
library subscribes to almost anything I might need.

I have just been looking at the ImpactStory blog:

http://blog.impactstory.org/smash-interstellar-paywall/

I wanted to find out how they know the version they find is legally
posted. I know if it is in a repository it will because librarians are
so careful and the version on ArXiv is usually a "preprint" so has not
been through the publishing process but I admire their confidence

I like this quote also. It takes you back to the old days: it really
does simplify a complex problem

"Eventually, the paywalls will all fall. Till then, we’ll be standing
next to ‘em, handing out ladders. Together with millions of principled
scientists, libraries, techies, and activists, we’re helping make
scholarly knowledge free to all humans. And whoever else is out there"

Anthony

Anthony Watkinson
Principal Consultant CIBER Research
Honorary Lecturer University College London
Director Charleston Conference