From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2013 20:01:42 -0500
From: Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:21:45 -0600

What strikes me about Allington's post is that it argues for just what
the AAP has been arguing for in the U.S. for a long time, viz., that
the most efficient and logical way to make the results of
government-funded research available to the public is to  make better
use of the system that already exists whereby government agencies
require reports on research to be submitted (and, in the UK's case,
written in language the public can understand), which then can be
posted immediately to the web with no embargo period involved at all.
His point about the OA system relying on articles written for journals
instead underlines this recommendation because, in his view (which I
share), most of the technical literature is written in a way that
makes it NOT accessible to the general public and devotes space to
discussions of theories, literature reviews, and the like that most of
the public could care less about, since it is the results themselves
that they want to be told about. What do you have to say about this
argument, Fred?

Sandy Thatcher