From:
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2013 17:42:49 -0400
From: ANTHONY WATKINSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 09:51:02 +0100

The point I was making was that OA journals have to be marketed. They
cannot use impact factors to attract authors to them because they are
often new journals. OA books need to attract readers and just by being
there does not work. In both cases it is necessary to use marketing
tools. It is much easier for a journal because it is not a one-off.
But this does not depend on the business model. Why do I assert this
so confidently. It is because I have been to a number of seminars
recently where marketing personnel of OA journal companies have
explained what they do to reach their audience (both authors and
readers)

Anthony

From: Jean-Claude Guédon <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:24:30 -0400

OA journals and OA monographs fundamentally differ from each other. OA
journals are routinely (if stupidly) ranked with the help of the
infamous impact factor. Marketing fundamentally rests on touting the
IF of a journal (with all three meaningless decimals). No such ranking
system exists for monographs. Instead, a fuzzy reputational system
based on the name of the press prevails.

The person to query about all this is Eeclo Ferwerda who heads the
OAPEN Foundation. He certainly would have a lot of things to say about
marketing OA monographs. OHP, ANU Press in Australia, Athabasca U
Press in Canada are other presses that have valuable experience with
OA monographs. Apologies for other presses I am forgetting here, but
the NAP in the US should be queried as well.

Jean-Claude Guédon