From:
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2015 20:30:38 -0400
From: Kristen Garlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:40:58 +0000

Hello, Ann -

Text and data mining on JSTOR are available through Data for Research
(DfR) (dfr.jstor.org). DfR is a free, self-service tool that allows
computer scientists, digital humanists, and other researchers to select
and interact with content on JSTOR. Created in 2008, DfR enables
exploration of both scholarly journal literature (more than 7 million
journal articles) and a set of primary resources (26,000 19th Century
British Pamphlets).

The resource consists of a set of web-based tools, including:

·      a search interface that can be leveraged to define content of
interest through an iterative process of searching and results filtering
·      word frequencies, citations, and ngrams utilized for conducting
analysis of document-level data
·      topic modeling (classification of subject headings at the article
level), a powerful tool for content selection and filtering
·      downloadable datasets containing word frequencies, citations, key
terms, or ngrams associated with the content selected

DfR is available for use by the broad research community, including
independent scholars and those not affiliated with participating
institutions. Use of DfR is further detailed in Section 14.3 of JSTOR's
terms and conditions which can be found here:
http://www.jstor.org/page/info/about/policies/terms.jsp.

For larger projects (1,000 documents or a data type not available through
the DfR site), JSTOR works with researchers to prepare custom data sets
tailored to the research being performed, subject to additional relevant
terms. There is no additional cost to libraries or researchers.

Best regards,

Kristen Garlock
Associate Director, Education & Outreach - JSTOR