From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2015 20:23:46 -0400
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 08:45:51 +0000

Perhaps I was being a little too fatalistic when I suggested that we
are all at the mercy of ‘the system’.  I guess at the back of my mind
- and what I didn’t make explicit in any form - was a desire to avoid
the impression that I was blaming anybody for the position that we are
in now.

But, surely as a result of the competing drivers on the many players
the result is a ‘system’ that many find sub-optimal - whether it is
the academic in arts and humanities who has to wait over a year after
acceptance to see their paper published, the library that has to
cancel journals (or other resources) to meet increasing big deal
bills, the university or society press that finds that it can no
longer run an independent publishing operation, or the large
commercial publisher who has to deal with ever increasing profits.
Oh, OK, scrub that last one.

We have a wonderful example of how ‘the system’ works in the UK at the
moment.  There has been a massive push for open access.  Government
and research funders have been convinced and universities have been
given extra cash to allow researchers to meet APCs.  More and more UK
research is now freely available to the world’s readers - great.  But
a significant proportion of the cash is going to large commercial
publishers to pay inflated APCs for hybrid journals.  And the majority
of that proportion is going to publishers - most notably Elsevier- who
refuse to engage meaningfully with the UK community on double-dipping.
This is essentially free cash to those publishers - over a £1million a
year to Elsevier, for example.

Now, I’m not blaming Elsevier for taking this free money - it is their
job to maximise profits - but I can’t imagine that this was the ideal
that the funders were looking for when they budgeted this extra cash.
When you only have control over some aspects of a much wider system it
is hard to change that system in a ‘controlled’ way.  So yes, we did
all build the ‘system’, but unfortunately we were working from many
different, and occasionally contradictory, blueprints.

David