From:
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:38:39 -0400
From: Sarah Durrant <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:11:31 +0100

Dear Michele

I am a publishing consultant and owner and facilitator of the
Licencing and Negotiation Skills for Librarians course which I run on
behalf of UKSG. I should also say what I'm not, which is a lawyer or
someone with formal legal training/experience.  Nor am I familiar with
the content on MD Consult, the nature of which may make it a special
case in the context of Fair Use.

I will share the following which I hope is useful:

Content owners may create licences governing use of their content
which feature clauses which over-ride otherwise applicable national
and international copyright agreements. I personally found this fact
quite shocking when I discovered it a few years ago.  It seems
counter-intuitive and over-protective to me and perhaps to others on
this list too, but it does happen.

Your current correspondence is with the Elsevier legal department.
Without prejudice, my suggestion is that you contact someone senior
elsewhere in Elsevier who is closer to the company's library
customers, their users and their users' needs (your sales
representative for example). You could ask them why 'fair use' is
being over-ridden/denied. Is there something about the particular
content/format of MD Consult which they believe warrants this? You
could also describe what your users would be doing with MD Consult
under Fair Use and explain why this is important to their teaching and
research and, more broadly, to your institution.  My hope is that as a
reasonable customer with a reasonable request you will get a
reasonable response.

For more information about Fair Use, there is a good resource on the
Stanford website
(http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/index.html).
(apologies if you already know this stuff backwards).

Good luck.
Sarah

Sarah Durrant
Red Sage Consulting