From:
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:32:12 -0400
From: "Hansen, Dave" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:40:58 +0000

Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful responses.

From the explanations you all provided, I gather that (as one might
expect) the NIH has a policy that it says it will enforce, and there
are some controls that provide for withholding of future funding,
because citations to PMC for NIH funded research are required in
applications.

In terms of actual compliance, we know that some people just aren't
doing it. Phil Davis at Scholarly Kitchen has a post about some recent
papers that looked at compliance rates:
http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2012/02/21/reporting-of-nih-sponsored-trials/

So, the remaining question is, does the NIH enforce their own rules?
Is funding actually withheld, delayed, etc., because of noncompliance?

If I find anything about actual enforcement actions (e.g., instances
where NIH withheld funding) I will let you all know.

Thanks,
Dave