From:
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2012 19:18:11 -0400
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 05:56:44 -0700

Interesting futuristic article on digitizing the bookstore in
Publishing Perspectives:

http://publishingperspectives.com/2012/05/qr-codes-nfc-chips-and-new-paths-to-book-discovery/

The thesis is that not only books but bookstores as well can be
digitized and "placed" anywhere.  The author's focus is on QR codes,
which may be a passing technology (I don't know), but the general
point has a truthful ring to it.

I note that I recently saw an announcement for Facebook apps for
library OPACs.  Libraries everywhere?  It's a compelling vision.

If anyone has information about the syndication of OPACs (e.g., to
Facebook, LinkedIn, wherever), I would like to hear about it, whether
online or off.

Joe Esposito

--
Joseph J. Esposito