From:
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 21:32:48 -0400
From: CRL Events <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Thanks for your interest in the recent webinar hosted by the Center
for Research Libraries, “Text and Data Mining in the Humanities and
Social Sciences: Strategies and Tools,” presented by Peter Leonard and
Lindsay King of Yale University. We are pleased to let you know that
the recording of the webinar is now available on CRL’s YouTube
channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrX7cM1FC_A

In the webinar Leonard and King discussed reasons for the current
interest in TDM, what makes a good project, and the implications for
libraries of this growing research trend. They also demonstrated
Yale’s Robots Reading Vogue platform, showing various projects based
on the ProQuest database. They responded to significant questions and
observations from webinar participants, including how to get good
quality OCR from non-western alphabets or earlier fonts, the relative
quality of OCR from various news databases, and what tools to use for
topic modeling.

One underlying theme was how libraries can preserve fair use for
access to data when negotiating licensing contracts. CRL uses feedback
like this to plan future programming. We hope to offer another webinar
in our series on TDM sometime during the upcoming academic year,
diving more deeply into issues surrounding “perpetual access”.

CRL Events
Center for Research Libraries
6050 South Kenwood Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637