From:
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2013 22:23:52 -0500
From: Ken Masters <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 08:37:14 +0400

Hi All

There is an article in the Chronicle on Aaron Swartz.  The title is
"Aaron Swartz was right."  As far as I can tell, the article defends
Swartz's feelings, and, perhaps even his actions.  I get that sense
from the snippet of the article's opening paragraph, and from the
blurb sent in the advertising mail: "The current academic publishing
system is prettied-up extortion. He defied it, and the rest of us
should too."

So, why haven't I read the entire article?  Because the Chronicle's
article dealing with the way in which "academic publishing system is
prettied-up extortion" and arguing that we should defy it, is, itself,
locked behind the Chronicle's pay-wall.  And I wonder if they are
aware of the irony.  Unfortunately, probably not.

For those of you who have paid your dues ("extortion", quoting the
blurb), or who are at institutions who have paid their dues, the
article is at:

http://chronicle.com/article/Aaron-Swartz-Was-Right/137425/?cid=cr&utm_source=cr&utm_medium=en

Regards

Ken

Dr. Ken Masters
Asst. Professor: Medical Informatics
Medical Education Unit
College of Medicine & Health Sciences
Sultan Qaboos University
Sultanate of Oman
E-i-C: The Internet Journal of Medical Education