From:
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 19:39:08 -0400
From: Thomas Krichel <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 21:50:31 +0000

Rebecca Kennison write

> What troubles me about this statement is that it seems to
> indicate the lack of any kind of a review process, much less a
> transparent one.

This does not trouble me in the least. The job of DOAJ is to
list open access journals. It is not to make a quality judgement
about them. Doing the latter would require generate staff costs
that DOAJ could not handle at the same time as staying a free
service.

> What could've been a teachable moment for the OA community in
> strengthening its standards instead seems to have become solely a
> defensive move on the part of DOAJ. I am, to be honest, very
> disappointed by that.

I agree. If I were DOAJ I would have kept to the journals. It looks
a politically expediant knee-jerk reaction.

We have a similar problem when we accept journals for the
RePEc digital library. We look at the journals, if it's doggy
we refuse. We can do this because we have domain expertise.
But once we have included a journal we don't take them out.

Cheers,

Thomas Krichel                  http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                            skype:thomaskrichel