From:
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:48:04 -0500
From: Roger Schonfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 06:55:45 -0500

Dear colleagues,

Librarians and information service providers on this list may be
interested in a new report we released yesterday: “Supporting the
Changing Research Practices of Historians,” conducted with support
from NEH. This is the first in a series of new studies we are
conducting that look at the needs of today’s scholars on a
field-specific basis and provide guidance for how librarians and other
research support providers can better serve them.

I presented findings from this work along with Deanna Marcum, Ithaka
S+R Managing Director, at the CNI meeting in Washington DC yesterday
afternoon.  Attendees spurred quite a bit of discussion about the
connections between researchers’ use of digital cameras and scanners
while visiting archives and special collections, and libraries’ and
archives’ priorities to make their collections more discoverable and
accessible. There were also some great ideas about future subjects for
our research, including ideas for interdisciplinary fields.

We are eager to hear any feedback you may have on this work, and
specifically about the actionable recommendations at the conclusion of
the paper.  Discussion on-list or off is welcome.

Roger

Roger C. Schonfeld
Director of Research
Ithaka S+R
Twitter: @rschon

Ithaka S+R (www.sr.ithaka.org/) is a strategic consulting and research
service that focuses on the transformation of scholarship and teaching
in an online environment, with the goal of identifying the critical
issues facing our community and acting as a catalyst for change.
Ithaka S+R is part of ITHAKA (www.ithaka.org), a not-for-profit
organization that also includes JSTOR (www.jstor.org) and Portico
(www.portico.org).