From:
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 2016 20:19:42 -0500
From: Anita Walz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 10:31:30 -0500

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your response. From
https://www.utpjournals.com/Journal-of-Scholarly-Publishing.html I see
that there is a 12-month embargo for repository deposit/self-archiving
of the final issue -- or a fee of $3,000 per article for immediate
free access at utpjournals.press .

I realize that it publishing articles requires resources and that UTP
wants to/needs to recoup costs. However, limiting reader-access to the
genuine scholarly conversation hoped for in this special issue does
not, I believe, well serve the communities engaged or those affected
by the issues likely to be present in the scholarly conversation.

Unfortunately, it also does not bode well among a set of prospective authors.

I suspect that if UTP were to make this issue immediately full-text
accessible on your primary platform that the quality, quantity and
diversity of perspectives represented in article submissions would
rise -- especially from authors philosophically opposed to
contributing free labor to a not immediately and freely accessible
issue. Making these articles immediately and freely-accessible online
may better enable the genuine, scholarly conversation you wish to
facilitate.

Respectfully yours,
Anita

From https://www.utpjournals.com/Journal-of-Scholarly-Publishing.html
Green Open Access
Twelve (12) months after publication of the version of record (i.e.,
the article after copyediting, tagging, typesetting, etc.), the author
may deposit a copy of the accepted article in their institutional
repository. Please let us know when the deposit is made so that we can
update our records.

Gold Open Access
At publication, the final version of record will become freely
available on our primary platform, utpjournals.press. The Author
Publication Charge is $3,000.

Anita R. Walz
Open Education, Copyright & Scholarly Communications Librarian
Library Liaison to Economics, Mathematics, and Legal Studies
[log in to unmask] | Tel: 540-231-2204 | Fax: 540-231-7808 | Newman Library
422 | Twitter: @arwalz
Open Educational Resources Guide http://guides.lib.vt.edu/oer

Virginia Tech
University Libraries (0434)