From:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2015 19:48:19 -0400
From: Collette Mak <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 07:46:18 -0400

If your point is that a journal can be a crummy journal that publishes
utter tripe and still adhere to best publishing practices then, yup,
you're right. You're also right that it would be a really bad thing
for people to confuse "best practice" with scholarly merit and there
will likely be some will confuse the two.  That said, scholarly metric
and high standards for transparency are not mutually exclusive
propositions.  Publishers that adhere to best practices for
transparency and ethics should be allowed to say so.  Authors are
unlikely to forgo impact factors in favor of a best practices seal but
a high impact open access journal that DOESN'T adhere to those
standards ought to be ashamed of itself and gets it's ducks in a row
so that it can qualify for the seal.

Collette

Collette Mak
Outreach and Scholarly Communications Librarian
Hesburgh Libraries
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
e: [log in to unmask]