From:
Date:
Wed, 27 May 2015 18:53:01 -0400
From: Stevan Harnad <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 13:44:11 -0400

I beg the OA community to remain reasonable and realistic.

Please don't demand that Elsevier agree to immediate CC-BY. If
Elsevier did that, I could immediately start up a rival free-riding
publishing operation and sell all Elsevier articles immediately at cut
rate, for any purpose at all that I could get people to pay for.
Elsevier could no longer make a penny from selling the content it
invested in.

CC-BY-NC-ND is enough for now. It allows immediate harvesting for data-mining.

The OA movement must stop shooting itself in the foot by
over-reaching, insisting on having it all, immediately, thus instead
ending up with next to nothing, as now.

As I pointed out in a previous posting, the fact that Elsevier
requires all authors to adopt CC-BY-NC-ND license is a positive step.
Please don't force them to back-pedal!

Please read the terms, and reflect.

SH

Accepted Manuscript

Authors can share their accepted manuscript:

Immediately

* via their non-commercial personal homepage or blog.

* by updating a preprint in arXiv or RePEc with the accepted manuscript.

* via their research institute or institutional repository for
internal institutional uses or as part of an invitation-only research
collaboration work-group.

* directly by providing copies to their students or to research
collaborators for their personal use.

* for private scholarly sharing as part of an invitation-only work
group on commercial sites with which Elsevier has an agreement.

After the embargo period

* via non-commercial hosting platforms such as their institutional repository.
* via commercial sites with which Elsevier has an agreement.

In all cases accepted manuscripts should:

* Link to the formal publication via its DOI.

* Bear a CC-BY-NC-ND license – this is easy to do, click here to find out how.

* If aggregated with other manuscripts, for example in a repository or
other site, be shared in alignment with our hosting policy.

* Not be added to or enhanced in any way to appear more like, or to
substitute for, the published journal article.

How to attach a user license:

Elsevier requires authors posting their accepted manuscript to attach
a non-commercial Creative Commons user license (CC-BY-NC-ND).  This is
easy to do. On your accepted manuscript add the following to the title
page, copyright information page, or header /footer: © YEAR, NAME.
Licensed under the Creative Commons [insert license details and URL].

For example: © 2015, Elsevier. Licensed under the Creative Commons
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/

You can also include the license badges available from the Creative
Commons website to provide visual recognition. If you are hosting your
manuscript as a webpage you will also find the correct HTML code to
add to your page