From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:35:24 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 19:45:11 -0800

Bill,

Isn't the area you are describing--the new, specialized area of
research--precisely where the author-pays model is most potent?  As
you say, a library may not want to purchase a journal for a single
member of the faculty, but the author of an article may be willing and
able to pay for the publication of his or her work in an OA form.
This does not solve some important problems (discovery,
certification), but it does address the bedrock issue of
communication.

Joe Esposito