From:
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2012 16:54:10 -0400
From: "Bhatt, Anjana" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 14:12:53 +0000

Here at FGCU, for several years, we maintained subscriptions in
multiple format for the top 25 journals in each discipline because no
one really  was sure about the completeness of electronic access.  Our
patrons specifically wanted print copies for mathematics and arts
journals where various formulas and pictures have to be seen in either
color or exact specifications.  Also, if the PDF version was not
available, we did not cancel because citations becomes problems if
exact paginations details are not available.

Now our faculty and students are used to electronic access and we have
PDF availability for most of the aggregators.  So,  for the past five
years or so, we have undertaken a journal review project every year
and identified journals in multiple formats.  If a specific journal is
available in an aggregator, we make a case for dropping it by checking
the usage and ILL data etc.  And if the librarian and the concerned
faculty member are comfortable cancelling, we go ahead.  Our budget,
over the years, has remain constant and this year we are facing a
budget cut, so there is no option but to save money by subscribing to
journals in just one format, either print or online.

I agree that aggregators are not dependable and drop and add journals
all the time but now we have learned to live with it.  Nothing is
perfect, so if the coverage changes or the publisher introduces an
embargo, we can always go back and re-subscribe.  It is a practical
solution that works for us. It is interesting to note that other
libraries think otherwise.

Thank you.

Anjana  H. Bhatt
University Librarian (Electronic Resources)
Florida Gulf Coast University
Fort Myers, FL: 33965-6565
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://library.fgcu.edu/FAC/abhatt/bhatt.htm