From:
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 2015 19:39:31 -0500
From: Joseph Esposito <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 22:20:07 -0500

At the risk of being tiresome, may I pose the question another way?

It is understood that there is no answer to the original question
because pricing depends on many factors.  But what would it cost to
purchase all of the journals for *your* institution? In other words,
since pricing varies by institution, consortia deals, etc., one way to
cut through all this is not to have one answer but to have, say,
1,700, one for each of the 4-year institutions in the U.S.  Anyone
care to take a shot at that?

This prompts a follow-on question: If an institution knows what it
spends now on journals, and if it can make a reasonable estimate of
what it would cost to have all of the journals, what percentage of the
total does each institution have access to?

I am simply fascinated by the comments that have been made here.

Joe Esposito