From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 2017 22:24:50 -0500
From: John Sack <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 03:59:43 -0800

Alvin,

I'll try and answer your questions using text supplied to me by
Alexandra Bash, director of product management at HighWire.   You are
welcome to send followup questions to me directly ([log in to unmask])
or to the list, and I'll involve Alex in the reply.

I would recommend that you set up searches in either Google Scholar,
or (if the domain is biomedical) PubMed.  Scholar in particular has
long had a broader reach than HighWire's list of journals, so should
give you more comprehensive results.

HighWire works extensively with Scholar, and the team there is
substantial and very stable.  I can't speak to your question about
whether Scholar would ever discontinue its alerts service, however.
(If that's a real concern, I can ask Anurag Acharya or Darcy Dapra if
they have any comment.)

------from Alex Bash (written last week):

We have been updating our search technologies throughout the HighWire
publishing platform to the SOLR search engine.  One of the last
vestiges of the previous search implementation is the ability for a
researcher to search across all content from all HighWire publishers
from the HighWire Portal (see
http://highwire.stanford.edu/cgi/search?quick=true).

Much of the value of this search capability has been eclipsed by
Google Scholar, and we are not planning to rebuild this capability in
the new system. Usage of this service is low, and we do not believe
this will inconvenience your customers or researchers.  This would
only affect multi-publisher content search, and would not affect the
Librarian or Publisher features on the HighWire Portal.

John Sack
Founding Director
HighWire Press

HighWire's new corporate office location is:
973 University Avenue, Los Gatos, CA 95032
Phone: 1-888-849-9323
Fax: 650-725-9335