From:
Date:
Fri, 23 Dec 2011 22:18:54 -0500
From: David Prosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 09:19:47 +0000

Of course there is confusion.  I was at a meeting once where an editor
proudly stated that she was fully signed-up to the principles of open
access and the journal she edited was open access - the papers were
freely available to all readers at subscribing institutions!  I'm not
sure threatening her with trademark infringement would have helped.

This and Joe's example are cases of people wanting 'open access' to
mean what they want it to mean.  For me there is a perfectly good
working definition in Budapest.  Mike and I are working with this
definition - Joe want to redefine the term.  That's fine, language
evolves all the time.  But those of us who don't think we need a
redefinition are going to continue to hark back to Budapest.

David