From:
Sandy Thatcher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2012 22:50:24 -0500
That there is a lot of piracy of scholarly monographs there can be no
doubt any longer, now that scholarly publishers have been tracking
illegal postings for years. (Penn State Press, which I headed, had
its best-selling book--a translation of a Buddhist text by Columbia
scholar Robert Thurmann, father of Uma--repeatedly posted without
permission at multiple sites.) What is more difficult to measure is
what impact this has had on actual sales, since people who download
from such sites may not have had any interest in buying these books
in the first place.  Do teachers assign these books to students by
providing URLs to these illegitimate sites?  Who knows?

My guess is that the problem is greater for one-offs like books,
movies, and music than it is for journals, however.  I doubt that any
pirate is going to find it very profitable to try posting every
article of every issue of a journal over a long period of time.

The greatest danger of piracy for movies, however, is not the theft
of Hollywood blockbusters but rather the films produced by
independent filmmakers, who rely on advance funding from overseas
distributors who need to be guaranteed that movies won't be stolen
before they are even available for licensing in foreign markets.
Without that assurance, foreign investors won't provide the funding
that is needed even to get a new movie project off the ground. hence
it is not so much a matter of lost sales as it is, for these
filmmakers, of inability to make movies at all. Read more about this
problem here under "Copyright Piracy and Its impact on the U.S.
Intellectual Property Community":  http://www.ifta-online.org/issues.

Sandy Thatcher

--
Sanford G. Thatcher
8201 Edgewater Drive

"If a book is worth reading, it is worth buying."-John Ruskin (1865)

"The reason why so few good books are written is that so few people
who can write know anything."-Walter Bagehot (1853)