From:
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2014 12:01:27 -0400
From: "Black, Douglas M" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2014 13:12:12 +0000

The Cornell study is fascinating, and while the data conclusions
undoubtedly resonate across ARLs, the report's caution about applying
them too broadly is well found.  We've been examining some of the same
data in similar manner here at Northern Michigan University--a
mid-size regional university with but a handful of master's
programs--and the circulation distribution is quite different.  NMU
has neither Ph.D programs nor the major research initiatives graduate
faculty would be pursuing.  A very brief initial snapshot of our data:

1) Our greatest users of print monographs are undergraduates, at 47.7%
of the total.

2) The next largest user is a statewide resource-sharing group
including all library types, at 20.11%.

3) Faculty usage comes in third, at 14.28% of the total and less than
a third of undergraduate usage.

4) Grad students, unsurprisingly with so few in proportion, are at
2.6%, less than university staff or local community users.  The latter
groups are important because of the university's geographic isolation
and its resulting relationships with the local and regional
community...and even to the climate, with the long winters up here.

We have a lot of analysis left to do in order to work out more clearly
the usage patterns and what they might mean.  One of the more
challenging parts is accurately developing appropriate contexts in
which to understand the data.  That analysis has to include
consideration of the institution's mission, characteristics, role(s)
in the community, and other qualitative factors in addition to the
disciplinary distinctions Sandy outlines.

Thanks to Joe and Sandy for the link and comments.

Douglas

Douglas Black
Collection Development Librarian
Northern Michigan University