From:
Date:
Sun, 17 Jan 2016 17:26:27 -0500
From: "Vagts, Karen A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 15:07:10 +0000

I concur with Brian.  But you might develop these assumptions because
of the different roles that books play vis a vis journals and
conference proceedings in metrics, tenure tracking, ordering and
collections management, marketing, etc.

In terms of outsourcing to commercial publishers, some STEM publishers
might choose to use aggregators, whether specialty platforms such as
Knovel or more general ones.  The reasons for doing so may include not
just financial considerations but also where the publishers want to be
in terms of visibility (and they often have to serve corporate clients
as well as academia and these markets differ).

Karen A. Vagts
Engineering/Mathematics/Business Librarian
Tisch Library, Tufts University
email: [log in to unmask]