From:
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2015 19:22:06 -0400
From: "Taylor, Anneliese" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 17:46:46 +0000

[Cross-posted message]. Please join us at ALA Annual for the:

ALCTS President's Program
Three Short Stories about Deep Reading in the Digital Age

You’re probably reading this message on a screen—a phone, a tablet,
perhaps a laptop. Our burgeoning digital culture has all kinds of
effects on us—especially on our brains and how we think and read.

Maryanne Wolf, author of Proust and the Squid: the Story and Science
of the Reading Brain, will share three stories to consider:

the transition from a literary to a digital culture—with its
concomitant effects on the changing reading brain

the beauty and the threats of the digital milieu on the next
generation of readers

the stewardship role played by the library in the preservation of
"deep reading" in our culture

Join ALCTS President Mary Page in welcoming Professor Wolf as she
shares her stories.

Don’t miss this program!