From:
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2012 18:17:57 -0400
From: Anthony Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 10:13:20 +0100

Richard

We shall see. I read the blurb not the article. It was the "increasingly
protesting" that seems to me to demand more than an opinion to justify.
There is of course the heading but let that pass. It is advocacy after all.
A little embarrassing however - almost as embarrassing as the "academic
spring".

I recognise that there is been quite a bit of noise, partly from other
journalists, but surely a proper survey is needed to underpin this sort of
remark?

My opinion is partly based on the study by Eefke Smit and her colleague -
see:

http://www.publishingresearch.net/documents/PRCSmitJAMreport20June2011Versio
nofRecord.pdf.In the summary (2011) they write:

"The mining requests that publishers receive are not very frequent (mostly
less than 10 per year, a good share even less than 5 per year) and come
mostly from Abstracting and Indexing services and from corporate
customers.".

They do suggest (from the survey) that there are more requests but they also
say that the great majority of these have been met by licence.

I would love to know if there is a big increasing demand that is not being
met by licence/permissions.

Anthony