From:
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2014 05:08:14 -0400
From: Richard Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 08:43:33 -0400

Rick, I take your point, but I'm puzzled by your claim that "an awful
lot of these books probably shouldn't be published." Why not? It may
be the case that libraries won't buy them, that the traditional market
may not be there, and fair enough, that's one piece of the puzzle. But
what about a book's contribution to the field? And to the (possibly
small) number of scholars and students who need that kind of research
for their own work? Would they agree that there's no real need for
these kinds of publications?  Arguing that books "shouldn't be
published" implies that library sales are the only game in town, and
that's just not the case for many scholarly publishers.

Richard Brown, PhD
Director
Georgetown University Press
Suite 250